- Founded in 1992
- Privately held corporation based in Winnipeg, Canada.
- Principal product: the Niche Records Management System (RMS) a unified police information management system.
- Niche RMS used by more than 119,000 sworn
officers in more than 100 services worldwide.
- Principals are actively involved in all aspects of product development and support.
- Most of Niche’s high-calibre development team members have been with the company for over 10 years.
- Niche Technology has business representatives in
four countries – The United States of America, Canada,
Australia and the UK.
- First version of RMS product launched in 1999.
- NicheRMS is a single, unified, operational
policing system that manages information in
relation to the core policing entities: people,
locations, vehicles, organizations (businesses
or other groups), incidents (or occurrences) and
- NicheRMS has six main functional areas: crime
management, intelligence management, general
incident management, custody/prisoner
management, property management and court case
- NicheRMS features a sophisticated security model
that controls access to information at the
domain level and at the role level.
- NicheRMS includes an integrated mobile field
reporting capability as well as a disconnected
mode that allows officers to enter data while in
- Niche RMS serves 119,000 sworn officers worldwide in more than 100
- Used by 10 of the 30 largest police agencies in the English-speaking world
- Used by nearly 50% of Canadian police officers:
- OPTIC - North America’s largest data sharing cooperative, comprising the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and 43 municipal police services in Ontario, Canada.
- Used by 48% of UK police officers:
- 23 services, including the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), the British Transport Police and West Yorkshire Police, the UK’s fourth largest service with 5,200 officers.
- 24% of Australian market:
- Queensland Police Service (QPS) - 10,000 officers policing 25% of the Australian land mass.
- South Australia Police Department - 4,500 officers
- Selected for 9 US projects:
- Six state patrol agencies, one county agency, one city agency and one Federal agency
- Including US Department of the Interior Multi agency project with over 6,000 users
- Average size of installation = 2,807 officers.
- Time from start of project to go-live = 9-12 months.
Niche Technology Senior Project Manager John De
Koning and Project Manager Barb Jones present at an RMS training session for the
US Department of the Interior.